Monday, February 27, 2012

Solano Este

Hi Everyone,
Well, I'm now serving in Solano Este. I think this has been a good change. There is a lot of work to do, and we are keeping very busy. We have our work cut out for us here, and I'm excited to see how things go over the next transfer. Getting moved for your last transfer has its advantages and disadvantages. It's nice because no one really knows how long you have been out, and so I don't really get asked much, and then when I do get asked I respond with "a little over a year" which is more or less true. There are a few people who recognized me from a baptism that I came to with Hna Ayala, so they know I've been out longer, but as for the rest, I'm just some new missionary who is here to work.
Speaking of work, working in a bike only area is interesting! You meet a lot more crazies on the streets when you are on bike constantly. We work in some interesting neighborhoods, and we are meeting a lot of people. I'm still trying to get all of the names down and keep everyone straight, so I'm not sure I could give much of an update on that. It's just a lot of work, and we are keeping really really busy. I'm exhausted every night by the time we get home, and I'm also glad that it's not the middle of summer. It's been plenty hot, and it's just going to keep getting warmer, so I'm glad I only have to do this bike area thing for one transfer.
I'm not really sure what else to talk about... I think you all need to start sending me questions again... becuase I'm out of ideas.
Other things... Well, maybe I'll tell you a little more about my companion. Her name is Hna Garcia... she's from Fresno California, although her family currently lives in Farmington Utah. She is the oldest of 3 and the first missionary in her family. Her mothers parents are the first members in her family, and her Dad joined the church about 3 or 4 years ago. She's been out for 5 months, and she is a ball of fire. It's pretty easy to tell that she loves being a missionary, and I am enjoying serving with her. The fun fact with her is that she is my very shortest companion which says a lot, Hna Ayala was 5'1''. Hna Garcia is 4'11''. We get a lot of laughs. It's pretty funny. Sometimes we'll see our reflection in the mirror when we're brushing our teeth or something a just crack up becuase we look so funny next to each other.
It's really weird being at this point. You spend your whole mission watching other missionaries go home, and then suddenly you are the old missionary. It's cool to look back on my time of service and to see the things I've learned. I feel like I have learned so much from each of my areas and companions, and I am really greatful for this time. I just wake up and feel like it can't really be ending. I think I feel like that especially because I'm only going to be here for one transfer, and that is just such a short amount of time. A transfer goes by really quickly, so I'm trying to make the most of it.
I think that's pretty much all of the excitement. Please send me questions for next week... they really help.
Love you all lots!
Hna Okeson

No comments:

Post a Comment