Monday, September 12, 2011

Feliz Dia de Independencia

Hello All,

It's been an interesting week. I've been promising to send pictures for a while, so this letter may be more pictures than actual writing. But I thought you all would enjoy them. The first, and most exciting event was the ward party on Saturday. It was to celebrate Mexican Independance Day. Everyone thinks about Mexicans and parties and they think of Cinco de Mayo. Well, from personal experience, Cinco de Mayo has nothing on Mexican Independance Day. Hna Alvarez surprised the ward and showed up in Mexican outfits. That was pretty fun. There was tons of food, music, and dancing. It was quite the party. We were excited because there were a lot of investigators there, which was really good. People enjoy these parties, and the ward is now looking at doing them more often, which is a great help to us here with the missionary work. The best part of the whole night though was the skit put on by the Elder's Quorum. If you all understood Spanish I would forward you the video we got of it. It was super funny. Besides a few different skits, there were also lots of traditional and not so traditional dances done. My favorite was watching the sisters in the Relief Society do the cool looking Mexican dance with the really long swirly skirts.



This week, a lot like Trent's week, has been one focused on finding. We've started changing our tactics though. Now we're going and visiting members in the English wards and asking them if they know their neighbors, and if any speak Spanish. Some give us really good suggestions, and others tell us that they think one of four houses on the other side of the street is a hispanic home. We'll take what we can get. It's working pretty well though. We've been meeting a lot more people, and so we're hoping that soon we will have more people to teach.

Some of the other exciting news of the week is that we are pretty sure fall is here! It's been under 100 degrees twice this past week, and the rest of the time it really didn't get much over 105. We spent lots of time out on bike, and it's been so nice! It's amazing how from this side of the summer 95 degrees feels amazing, while 4 months ago I thought I was going to die. I guess it's all about perspective.

One more thing before I end for today. The mail system for the mission has been changed. The office no longer forwards mail. My Mom has my home address, and so if you want to write me try to get the address from her. If you do choose to send me a letter through the mission office, it could take up to 3 weeks to make it from the office to me. That also means, if you are writing me to the home address that about a week before transfers you should hold off sending letters or just send those directly to the mission office. Our next transfer week is the week of October 17th.

Okay, I think that's all for this week. Sorry it's not been much. It was a pretty long week with not much out of the ordinary. Hopefully something exciting will happen over the next week so I have some fun stuff to write to all of you.
Love you lots!
Hermana Okeson

No comments:

Post a Comment