Sunday, March 1, 2009

Dear Mom,

Yesterday I had an interesting experience. I was at my flute teachers and we got talking about height. She made the comment that when she was younger she always wished that she was shorter. This struck me because I was hard pressed to find a time in my life where I really wished that I was shorter. I began to wonder what the difference is. I've heard lots of girls who are tall talk about how they wish they had stopped growing sooner, but I've never really been one of them. Being tall is my thing. I love it. Then I realized that the difference is in how you brought me up.
Thank you for teaching me that it's okay to be taller than all the other kids. Thanks for telling me over and over in seventh grade that I need to stand up tall and be proud of my height. You showed me how to be tall with out looking weird. People tell me over and over that they never realize how tall I actually am until they come right up next to me. They always comment that really tall girls often look "lurpy" but I don't, so that's why I seem more "normal." Thanks for teaching me how to feel comfortable with who I am.
Love you lots!
Nicole

3 comments:

  1. You are welcome. I also love being tall but thanks to all of you rotten kids I am continuing to get shorter! I think Todd is in the growing mode again. =( I feel I am going to have to take another step down in the line up sooner than I would hope! Loved the pictures that Sis. Searcy posted. That was the timing of your lovely hair cutting episode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice note.
    While grandma never could get me to stand up perfectly straight, she taught me in 1st grade that I would always be tall and my additude made the difference in how I was treated. I have to admit there were times I wanted to fit in more, I never wanted to give up an inch of my height. I hope that I can instill that into my kids.

    ReplyDelete