Wednesday, April 22, 2009

SUMMER

NO MORE CLASS ROOMS
NO MORE BOOKS
NO MORE TEACHER'S DIRTY LOOKS

Thanks for indulging me. *grin*

I am officially done with school until September, and I can't begin to describe how good that feels. Although, it has inspired a mini freak-out session. In completing this semester I am officially half way done with my undergraduate. That is incredibly scary. These two years have gone so fast, and the thought that there are only two left scares me. It wasn't that long ago that I was arriving on campus and goofing off in the dorms. I don't feel like I'm that far along, but as I look back I realize I've covered so much ground.

I just finished my last music theory test... EVER. I remember when writing out a simple I IV V7 I progression and avoiding voice leading errors nearly killed me. I freaking transposed through a Babbit Square! And, wrote and analyzed an aeleotorical composition. All in one final exam. (Feel free to come bring me food and express your adoration, I know I'm pretty awesome.)

With the completion of my jury this semester I only have two more left for my undergraduate. Also freaky. I have two recitals, but in some ways, I would much much rather give a recital than a jury. Recitals, in some twisted masochistic way, are really kinda fun.

What all this really means is I have no idea what I want to do with my life post undergraduate. Do I want to get a masters in performance? There are so many flute players out there... I've thought a lot about ethnomusicology, but I don't know if I could take the step away from flute playing to be an ethnomusicologist. That would be a really fun masters... so cool... study all the awesome music that gets played all over the world. I could do that. But I've also always wanted to be a professional flute player and work in a symphony, that's not a dream I care to ever let go of. ACK! I have a secret hope that I will wake up one morning in the next two years and magically have this all figured out, but I'm not sure it works that way.

What if I were to find someone and get married in the next two years? That's just as freaky. I'm not planning on it, but I have a lot of friends who haven't planned on getting married, and look at them now. That's freaky too. Again, I don't feel that grown up. Not even remotely.

Luckily I'm not alone in my freak-out. A lot of my friends who have now reached the same point as me are just as weirded out. It's been almost two years since I moved out of my parents house. It's almost two years exactly since I graduated from high school. I felt pretty cool then.
Weird, Weird, Weird...

I think I shall go self medicate with Disney songs as I pack...

1 comment:

  1. wink, wink, nudge, nudge...you KNOW what I'm talking about. ;)

    ReplyDelete